7.01.2010

Nashville Bums

When I moved to Nashville I shared an apartment with Johnny Cash. My girlfriend lived down the hall. I was still married to a girl in Texas. I was always on the road. If I wasn’t Johnny was. Mostly we just used the place to crash, and as a place to hide our pills. We were both out of our minds but you couldn’t tell us anything. I stayed up all night writing songs and driving around town in my Cadillac. There was always someone hanging around like Kris Kristofferson. It was a great time to be a Nashville Bum. I was. So was Cash. My girl didn’t like it much. She wanted to move back to Phoenix. When I got my divorce we got married. I moved down the hall, Johnny said see you around, I laughed I’ll probably be back. The marriage didn’t work. Moving in made everything worse. We loved each other but wanted different things. I was chasing songs while she waited for me to come home. I rarely did. There would be plenty of time to sleep when I made it big. I wanted to be like Hank Williams or my friend Buddy Holly. I was willing to do anything to achieve my goals and it was fun. My family suffered. Now I am able to apologize but I guess my apology is a little late and a million dollars short. It wasn’t long before I moved down the hall again. I was back two weeks before Johnny knew it. When My wife went back to Phoenix I moved again. Johnny didn’t notice that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment