10.16.2010

Noir

While we drank in a tavern her unsavory past reflected off my eyes and back to her's and it scared me a little but it also excited me and I couldn't wait to walk across the street to her motel room.

What are you doing here, Mac, she asked. My name isn't Mac, it's Eric, I said. Whatever, she said, and drained her glass of tequila and tapped her empty glass on the bar.

While we walked to the motel she pointed at the sky and said look the stars are laughing at you. So it seems, I said, and flicked my spent cigarette into a ditch. Why do you think I picked you out of that mess at the bar? She asked.

I woke up in that ditch beside my cigarette butt, a used condom, and an empty bottle of wine with her laughter ringing in my ear.

I walked back to the bar and asked the bartender about the girl I was sitting with. You weren't sitting with anyone. And you owe me twenty-three dollars, she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment