10.24.2010

Noir IX

Get his wallet, she said. I did. She untied the girl. About time, the girl said. You look familiar, I said. Shut up, the girl said.

She cleaned the place up a bit. That should do, she said. Let's get out of here. Where's the gun? She asked. I threw it in the lake, I said. I guess that's as good a place for it as there is.

What are we going to do with him? I asked. Leave the prick where he is, she said. He said he wasn't married, I said. He wasn't, she said. I thought he was your husband, I said. Well he wasn't, she said. Then who was he? I asked. My brother. You're an idiot, the girl said. I couldn't honestly disagree.

We drove to a motel and the girl got out and went into a room. Who is she? I asked. My high school sweetheart, she said. Why did you lie about being married? I asked. What difference does it make?

The girl came back, threw a bag in the trunk and we drove to Milwaukee.

1 comment: