10.04.2010

In My Time (Essays About Rock And Roll)

If you were introduced to Hank Williams, Jr. by Monday Night Football you rightly probably think he's a yahoo, however, between 1978 and 1985 he might have been the best country singer in the world (apologies to Don Williams). If you don't want to take my word for it go out and buy his re-mastered compact disks for the bargain price of five dollars, ninety-seven cents.

Back in the day, John Mellencamp changed his last name to Cougar for financial reasons. I think changing your name is stupid and don't think that you can change it back and retain creditability especially when your chosen name is Cougar. Anyway, when I was a young man, I thought John Cougar was pretty cool and a fine songwriter and singer. I saw him open for Heart at the old Phoenix Coliseum and he put on a hell of a show and blew those talentless bimbo's off the stage, however, as I got older and heard more music I found Cougar's to be somewhat pedestrian although his good songs were always worth a listen. A couple days ago I asked my brother to burn John Cougar's latest album and it's (authentic) the best thing I've heard in awhile and I listen to it all all the time.

If you are at the end of the line and down to your last three hours play Dreaming My Dreams, do three or four bongs, a line of coke, have a glass of your favorite spirit and smoke as many cigarettes as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment