4.18.2010

A Long Way From Penny

My daughter and I were staying in a motel between Gallup and Albuquerque on our way from Phoenix to Milwaukee. We got a late start and were in no hurry. We walked to a diner for dinner. Cate didn’t eat, she said I’m not hungry. I had meatloaf, potatoes, corn, and a piece of pie. You should have eaten, I said, that was pretty good. You shouldn’t smoke daddy, Cate said.
I know that, but it’s none of your business.
Yes it is. I want a candy bar.
We don't have anymore, I said and flicked my butt into the street.
You shouldn’t litter.
You have me there.
I found a baseball game on TV and we laid on the bed and watched . I hate baseball, Cate said. I want a snack. I gave her a bag of potato chips.
Let’s call your mom and tell her how much fun we're having.
I’m not having fun daddy.
My wife asked if Cate had a good dinner. She had a hot dog and a piece of apple pie, I told her.
Daddy you shouldn’t lie to mommy.
What did Cate just say?
Nothing, I’ll call you in the morning.
Tell Cate I love her.
Will do, I said and disconnected. Would you quit busting my balls? I asked.
What does that mean dad?
It means you’re a pain in the ass, now go to bed.
It's still light outside, Cate said.
I looked out the window at the sun falling slowly and my car in the parking lot reminding me of how far we have to go. I miss Penny, I thought, while Cate dumped half a bag of potato chips on the bed and laughed.
Look at me daddy. I'm funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment