4.14.2010

Billy, Kurt, My Brother And Me

The trees are dancing and the grass is soaking wet.
The rain stops but the wind is blowing hard, making it hard to light a cigarette.
My brother gets his lit.
I light mine off of his.
Kurt says maybe we should quit.
Billy hits a pretty shot twenty five yards short of the fifth.
I long for the jacket I took out of my bag a couple days ago for no reason.
My brother opens a beer.
Billy throws his eight iron into a tree.
I slice a ball around a tree under the wind onto the green.
My brother says maybe Kurt is right.
Billy says, I hit that pretty good.
Not good enough, my brother says.
Billy picks up his club, re-hits the shot, and hooks it into a creek.
Billy throws his club again.
My brother hits his fourth over the green.
Billy gets up and down for par.
I line up my putt.
Kurt looks for his ball in the weeds.
Did anyone see it? Kurt asks.
It's too cold to be looking for lost balls, I think, putt, miss, tap it in.
I didn't, my brother says.
Billy and I help Kurt look for his ball.
My brother picks up his and says, I've had enough of this hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment