4.28.2010

Last Call

It was almost last call in the Dilly Dally and I was down to three dollars.
It was time to go home but I didn’t want to face that prospect.
I knew the end result too well.
I left the three bucks on the bar and walked slowly across the parking lot and stopped under a street lamp and lit my last cigarette.
I stood there awhile watching the night sky not move or change or give me the slightest bit of hope.
The moon was hanging below the stars and it was the kind of moon that keeps crazy people up all night.
I watched people walk out of the bar and get in their cars.
I wished I could have had one more beer.
The beer would not have made much difference but it would have been nice, to still be sitting in the bar flirting with the bartender while she washed the glasses.
I walked home and looked under the couch for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment