6.18.2010

A Sentimental Review Of A Long Lost Rock And Roll Show

A long time ago I read a book by Brett Ellis and he kept referencing the band X so I bought the album More Fun In The New World and eventually they came to Phoenix. They opened for Warren Zevon. My brother and I shared an ounce of mushrooms and my brother drank ten beers on an empty stomach before the show. He yelled quite a bit and loudly and redundantly throughout X's set. The guy sitting in front of him looked like the tennis great Ivan Lendal and said, "we paid for our tickets too." My brother politely said "sorry man" and almost fell into the guy's girlfriend's lap. X looked like they hadn’t bathed since the tour started. They played a very fine set and then Warren Zevon came out and I’m not saying he blew a great band off the stage but he kind of did. This shouldn’t have surprised me but I'm an idiot and Warren Zevon was supposed to be a has been and part of the dreaded establishment. Now twenty some years later Warren Zevon is dead and X hasn’t done anything good much less great in over ten. Most music sucks but I still love a good rock and roll show. I saw James McMurtry not too long ago at the Rhythm Room and his set reminded me of his father's great short novel Leaving Cheyenne for some reason and that gives me a little faith in something at least.

1 comment:

  1. kinda worth mentioning little feat was zevon's band.

    ReplyDelete