6.19.2010

Rick's Teeth

We were standing on a bridge between Columbus and Phoenix City forty feet above the Chattahoochee River. We were on our way back to the barracks after spending most of the night in the Holiday Inn bar. The bar stayed open 'till five on Thursday and Saturday. We had to be at the pack shed by seven thirty so we split after the last ugly girl left about four. Kevin had to take a piss and we all thought it would be cool to piss off the bridge and after we did we stood there watching and listening to the river.
I’m going in, Rick said.
You're nuts Kevin said. I agreed. Joe said why not and took off his shirt. Rick jumped onto the railing, smiled and did a pretty decent swan dive. We lost sight of him after he hit the water. Shit Kevin said and ran down the bank. That’s fucking crazy Joe said and put his shirt back on. Kevin found Rick and dragged him out of the river and they staggered back up the bank and got in Rick’s car. You guys coming? Rick yelled. Joe and I jumped in the backseat.
Are you OK man? I asked.
No I am not, Rick said and spit blood out the window. Half my teeth are in the river.
Did you look for them? Joe asked.
I think I broke my ankle, Kevin said.
Was the water cold? Joe asked.
We should have pissed in the parking lot, I said.
I’ll drink to that, Rick said and popped open a beer.
You have another one? Kevin asked.
Rick gave us all one and we drank our warm beer and kept our dark thoughts to ourselves while Rick drove us back to the Fort. We all had a shitload of parachutes to pack in a couple hours (except Rick he went to the hospital) and maybe that's a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment