3.27.2010

Faretheewell

We heard but could not see the river, we shared a Coke in her car, while the radio played Tom Petty softly, she told me about being pregnant her senior year in high school.
She lived in her brother’s guesthouse, and Mike brought her groceries and cigarettes, she said, it was just awful.
Mike was my friend but that didn’t matter, while we sat in a bar, he asked me what he should do with her.
I told him I didn’t know but I thought he was lucky.
He laughed sadly and said, I am lucky but unlucky as well.
If she wasn't beautiful everybody wouldn’t want to fuck her and she’s weak.
So are we.
I bought him another drink.
The night was on me.
Mike had a family to feed.
He’s a good father, sometimes I love him more than the kids and sometimes he’s the biggest asshole that ever lived, Amanda said, lit a cigarette off of mine and laughed.
Mike scored some acid, the three of us dropped, at their house.
While Mike and I sat on the porch and smoked, I looked at the woods across the street.
They looked like a painting I could walk into.
I told Mike.
He told me to be careful.
That’s how you get in trouble.
Amanda made us lunch while we watched Michigan play Ohio State.
After the game Mike and I took their son Kevin to a bridge over a creek.
Kevin was Mike's son their daughter was someone else's.
I love them both the same, he said and threw a rock at a tree.
Amanda took a picture out of her purse and handed it to me.
She was wearing a blue dress posing with Kevin.
It’s the only picture I have with me.
A fingernail moon hung low over the trees in front of a liquor store, I waited in the car, for the come what may, the peace terms, the old heave ho.
The invisible river was roaring like a volcano.

No comments:

Post a Comment