3.07.2010

Burning Love

We were having dinner on a raft in the middle of a little lake.
So your dad owns all this, I said.
Yeah, she said and sighed. His great grandfather bought it from an Indian tribe. I guess they were down on their luck. He bought it on the cheap and cut down all the trees. He left the ones around the lake. It’s a pretty spot don’t you think?
I looked up at the big dipper. Yeah it’s pretty, I said.
Are you the real thing? she asked.
I don’t know, it depends.
On what? she smiled
How high your standards are. My heart fibrillates sometimes.
Your heart fibrillates?
Sometimes.
It contracts and sputters?
Not that often. It’s no big deal.

My brother and I were driving to Montana to go fishing. My brother’s read about a hundred books about fly fishing. I don’t like to fish but didn’t have anything better to do, so I tagged along. My brother crushed an empty can of Budweiser and tossed it out the window. You shouldn’t litter, I said, and flipped my cigarette into the woods.

We ate diner in a bar in Fargo. Check out the rack on the bartender, my brother said. My brother is more social than I. He introduced me to her. She picked up our empties and sat down at the table. I didn’t know what to say. So I listened to my brother tell her about the second grade class, he teaches. Are you a teacher? She asked.
I laughed. I’m in sales.
What do you sell?
Micro chips.
Like for computers?
I shook my head, yes. My brother laughed.
What do you do around here for fun?
Go somewhere else. She said.

I told my brother I’d see him back in Manitowoc and ended up on the Iron Range with a girl I knew nothing about. I liked it that way. She had a pretty smile. I liked to listen to her talk. Unless she asked a question. But they all ask questions I guess. In the beginning of a relationship girls will believe anything you tell them. They want you to be better than they think you are. I’m a world class liar. Taught by a master. My father.

Where are you from? She asked.
We were in a motel between Fargo and somewhere else.
I grew up in Wisconsin.
I poured her a glass of Whiskey.
She took a sip and grimaced. Are you married?
I paused for a few seconds. Yeah... she lives in Tokyo.
Is she Japanese?
She’s a nurse. From Boston. I met her at Fort Bragg.
What is she doing in Japan?
I have no idea.

In the bar in Fargo, I asked my brother if he had any ones. He gave me two. I played Ring Of Fire on the jukebox.
She smiled. I love this song. Maybe it’s an omen.

No comments:

Post a Comment