12.23.2010

Dead Guy Beside The River Continued

I guided the cops
Through my backyard
To the river and pointed
And said there he is.

Stand over there,
One of the cops said.

The sun went down.
The tree tops were blowing.
What do you think happened,
I asked a cop as he walked
By me on the way back to his car?

Not sure, he said.
Can I go home? I asked.
I'm freezing my ass off.
Stay put.
Someone might want to talk to you, he said.

About what? I asked.
I showed you where he is.
Just stay put.

So I stood there and watched
A bunch of people circle the guy
And write shit down
In little notebooks.

After an hour I said fuck this
And walked to my house.
What's going on down there? My wife asked.
It's going to snow, I said, and turned on the television.

How can you watch TV,
My wife asked,
When someone might have been murdered
Two hundred yards from our backyard?
It's Monday Night Football, I said.

1 comment:

  1. thursday night football mang.

    although maybe they didn't have that at the time.

    ReplyDelete