4.01.2012

Townes Van Zandt

If my love was a song
The sun would walk beside her and across oceans of time I chased her
Across a bridge over the Missouri and into a valley until she vanished.
She may have been a ghost. The train was on time but I couldn't catch it.
The sun walked beside her across oceans of time I followed her shadow
Into a cave. I sat on a rock. She hovered above.
I asked her to sit down. She said that's not possible. Why not I asked.
She said you wouldn't understand. I think she's right and more beautiful
Than anything I could ever handle. So I swam to a cove and laid in the sun
And waited for something more dependable.
But when the moon rose over the horizon the sun still walked beside her.
I followed her shadow across oceans of time and a field
Over a cliff and into the water.
If my love was a song I could compose with a little help from the masters
The sun would walk beside her across oceans of time all the way to El Dorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment