8.20.2011

Rolling Stones

If the quality of the records
they played on
is the determining factor
Mick Taylor is the best
second guitarist
the Stones had
however Brain Jones'
slide on No Expectations
sounds like he's been
playing and living
the blues
for a hundred years
and that's almost impossible
Ron Wood lasted the longest
and was as good as anyone
when he was Rod Stewart's
right hand man
(Brown Deer thinks
he's the most underrated guitarist
in the history of rock and roll)
and he got off to a great start
on Some Girls
and Jagger and Richards
were better songwriters
during Taylor's reign
and who really knows
who's playing what
when it all melds
seamlessly together
except journalists
nonetheless
Taylor gets my vote
but who knows
I guess
they all did alright
for themselves
except for
Brain Jones
and even his short life
was probably
better than most
guys who pick up a guitar
and try to play for dough

Jimmy Miller
produced the Rolling Stones
from Beggars Banquet
through Goat Heads Soup
and for that
he should receive a
Nobel Prize
and Mick and Keith
ought to drop by the office
and dip into their petty cash
and cut him a check
for ten million dollars
the Stones
never had a stretch
like that before or since
although Some Girls
through Dirty Work
is semi-close
and a million miles away
in Richards' book Life
he claims
Miller got hooked
and sat in the control room
carving swastikas
into the soundboard
while they made
Goats Head Soup
hey it's only rock and roll
ain't it
he got canned
and that's understandable
but producers
make a difference
check out Aftermath
and then play Sticky Fingers
and tell me they don't

They opened
with Start Me Up
and played Jumpin' Jack Flash
and Satisfaction
and Under My Thumb
and most of their hits
and some surprises
the stage was huge
and Jagger ran around it
like a man half his age
and kept changing his clothes
I guess it was great
but I was too far away
even though I improved
my position
by about seventy-five percent
there aren't any good seats
in a football stadium
and even the Stones
can't overcome that
although I'm glad
I went
the most memorable
part of the concert
was freezing
my ass off
in the bed of a truck
on Carefree Highway
after getting dumped
on Seventh Street
by a friend of mine's
dickhead of a father
and getting dropped off
on Cave Creek road
and walking
the rest of the way
and smoking
my last joint
with my buddy Pete


No comments:

Post a Comment