8.07.2011

Guided By Voices

I was walking down the street last Sunday
And I saw something I can't talk about
The park was full of European football players so we went to the zoo
After we circled the town looking for you
I sat on the toilet and watched you take a bath
Read a story by John Updike made a ham sandwich and fell asleep watching golf
A perfect afternoon ruined by a suggestion
A wasted week saved by a great football game
I'm proud of you you said
For what I asked I haven't done a damn thing in fifty years I said
A wine bottle slid off the table and shattered on the cement floor
The music was so loud we didn't notice the fire in the backyard until it was way too late
I smelled rotten peaches
And looked but couldn't find any and that drove me crazy
When we ran head-on into the end of the line
I heard you laughing in the caboose
I can't see the smoke signals (I know you're sending) through the fog
Or find the stuff we thought we needed in the attic


No comments:

Post a Comment