7.07.2011

Sugar

We wrote the songs on the fly with the tape rolling the night Daniel Mattes and I invented "grunge".

Daniel manned a keyboard and I played a cheap electric guitar Daniel had laying around his apartment.

The next night Tom showed up with an acoustic guitar and added some blues licks.

If Daniel or I wanted to play the songs we wrote that fateful weekend tonight we wouldn't know how to play them because we never did.

Whenever I tell people that my friend and I invented "grunge" they don't believe me and I lost the tape about ten years ago so I guess we'll never get the credit we deserve.

So be it.


I guess it doesn't matter if John Doe or King Buzzo or Niel Young or Kurt Cobain or Daniel Mattes and I are the Godfathers of "grunge" but it is worth noting that Sugar perfected the sound in recording studios and dive bars around the world

For about five years nothing sounded grander.

That's what really matters.

I wonder what happened to Daniel?

No comments:

Post a Comment