7.19.2011

Elvis

I was watching
Monday Night Football
with my father
when I heard Elvis died.

I know this could be
false testimony
if he didn't die
on a Monday
and if that's the case

I do not mislead
on purpose
and I still think about
that night
sometimes
whether I remember it
correctly or not
it never fails
to make me sad.
I do know
I was with my dad
and we were watching TV
and my father probably
said something disparaging
about Elvis.
He wasn't a fan
and neither was I
at the time.
I knew less then
than I know now
and I don't know much
at this moment
but I do know
my father and I
were wrong
about Elvis.
He sort of invented
rock and roll
for God's sake.

I know some people say
it was Ike Turner
and the old blues' guys
deserve a lot of credit
but somebody had to bring it
to the masses
with clarity and style
if Elvis hadn't

this mean old world

may have never heard
Smoke On The Water
Born To Run
and Maggie Mae
(to name just a few)
and I wouldn't
want to live in a world
without that
wonderful noise.
Would you?

Thanks Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment