5.17.2012

Low Art: John Prine

I started with this line I only did it 'cause I want to be that good while I waited for Penny and Cate after playing golf with Brown Deer and Billy the line is in reference to some lines I stole for a song I wrote a long time ago
I added this line how did it turn out so badly I sang those lines and played my guitar until I came up with I've been running around here for over twenty years knocking on every door twice I played and sang those four lines for about five minutes did the dishes picked up my guitar and sang there's a woman on twenty-eighth street she always leaves on the lights I repeat the first two almost nonsensical lines and that leads me to I was sitting outside the liquor store killing a six-er of Pabst 
a dude walked up and said I could sure use your extra cash 
I said old man what the hell is extra cash I've spent every cent I ever made 
the old man said extra cash is the shit that you don't really need today 
I said old man I'm down to two cigarettes and a half empty can of paint 
he said I guess you're not the guy I'm looking for I'll just be on my way 
I said old man no shit old man I'm broke as a dead Indian 
and old man the really sad part is I worked four days this week these lines come quickly maybe too quickly and now I have to sing and play them for hours messing with the phrasing and chords until I have something that sounds like a song and if that happens I do have a song
kind of
the song is done but it has to prove itself and that's one reason I need a tape recorder if it doesn't prove itself it will be lost and that is not my intention whether it proves itself or not
if that makes any sense
twenty minutes becomes two hours and sometimes twenty-five years and you're still messing with it
that's why I would like a kick ass tape recorder that's easy to use
ten days later or so I was laying around waiting for something like I always do and I picked up my guitar like I sometimes do and played the song and it's coming along
It sounds better then it reads
I hope
I put down the guitar and thought John Prine hasn't made a great record in over twenty years
since the missing years and that made me kind of sad

No comments:

Post a Comment